We are experiencing another heat wave in LA and keeping fido safe outdoors requires a little prep, a little planning and a lot of awareness. LA Animal Services has some great tips for keeping fido safe in the heat. We've also rounded up some of our favorite fido gear to keep your pup calm and cool while cruising around in the heat:
- RuffWear Swamp Cooler Dog Cooling Vest - Help your pup stay cool in the heat with the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler vest. Perfect for hikes, trail runs and adventures at the dog park, it provides evaporative cooling and protection from the sun.
- RuffWear Collapsible Bowl - The collapsible Quencher fabric bowl easily fits in a pocket or backpack and is designed to provide dogs with food and water while on the go.
- Musher's Secret Paw Protection - Musher's Secret Paw Protection Natural Dog Wax provides the ultimate paw protection in any season without the need for uncomfortable dog boots. Your pup will be able to walk without hurting his paws on icy or hot sidewalks, sandy beaches or hard pavement. Musher’s Secret forms a breathable, dense barrier to protect your dog’s paws from the elements in even the most extreme weather conditions. That means no more irritating sand, ice or snow between the paws or stuck to the furry paw pads. This moisturizing formula is a blend of 100% pure natural waxes, including white and yellow beeswax and vitamin E that not only protects but also soothes cracked pads and paws.
- Petkin Doggy Sunwipes - It may sound silly, but certain dogs (white bulldogs, like ours!) really can get sunburned when they are out and about - whether on their regular walk downtown or out on a hike during a hot day. Doggy Sunwipes provide the fastest, most convenient way to protect your dog from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays whenever they’re outdoors. Each wipe is moistened with a gentle, non-greasy formula developed especially for dogs that compares to SPF 15 rated sunscreens for people. Simply wipe all over anytime your dog is out in the sun, especially on ears, nose, muzzle, pink skin areas and entire coat of light colored or short haired dogs.
- Good2Go Cooling Bandana - The Good2Go Cooling Dog Bandana is a lightweight way to provide your pup with some relief from sweltering weather. Skip referigeration and simply soak in water to activate. The bandana uses evaporative cooling to keep your dog cool and uses and adjustable Velcro closure so you can fit is securely and comfortably. This is an easy thing to throw on at the beginning of a hike when it's 80+ degrees out!
- Gulpy Water Dispenser - We love the Gulpy! It's so easy to store and use and easy to quickly get water out for your fido without having to stop, open your pack, and unpack several items to get them water. This allows you to easily give your fidos water throughout a hike or walk. This two-in one unit features a water bottle that nests into the water tray when not in use. Water bottle is hitched to the water tray via a hinge – all you need to do is flip it open and squeeze the bottle to dispense water into the tray. Water bottle automatically seals when closed for leak-free storage.
Now get out there and get your fidos some exercise safely!